Sunday, June 29, 2008

Family

The word family has taken on a hole new meaning for me.



The entire family knew about the heart problems that Samuel was going to be born with. Of course we didn't completely understand it but it didn't matter because we were all in it together from the beginning. Now I know that families sometimes have their problems and of course mine is no different but in the last 2 years I have seen love like I have never seen.



From the beginning there was always someone from my family by my side. The first hospitalization, the second, ultra-sounds, echos, an ungodly amount of appointments. In fact, the only reason no one was there during our first Boston visit was because Lynn was having her baby, Owen! But I know if she could have been there she would have been there! I went to Boston on Thursday for a Friday morning appointment. After seeing the Cardiologists at Children's they said we could wait two more weeks. I called my mom and the phone tree began. A couple of hours later I called her to say there had been a change in plans and they were going to start inducing that night.



Without hesitation, my dad, sister Lynn, her husband Phil, my Grammy, and mother-in-law Diane all got in the vehicle and started the 4 1/2 hour trip to Boston. I know the rules in every hospital are different. At Bringham & Women's the rules are that only the 2 people that will be there for the delivery can be in the room. So my family sat in the hospital lobby for 3 days waiting for Samuel's arrival. Sunday afternoon the doctors told me that there was no way Samuel was coming that night...in fact he probably wouldn't be here till Tuesday (just what I wanted to hear!). So my family decided that had to go back home. Mind you, Lynn had just had a baby two months prior and he had his own heart issues going on. They left Boston at about 5:30 pm...I called them at 8:00pm to tell them he had come! We made this joke that he wanted to be alone with his mommy and daddy!



So the next morning Steve's dad and Darby (Sammie's sister) came by for a visit and a couple of days later my sister Andrea, her fiance Joel, my mom and step-father came for a visit. They all spent a couple of days there with me, taking care of me and doing what they could for Samuel. When Samuel was transferred to Fletcher Allen in Vermont he had visitors at least twice a week and every weekend. Cousins, Aunts, Uncles, Grammies, Grandpas, Memeres, friends of all the family and of course us!

When Sammie had his heart cath they all came down to the hospital for the day with us and didn't leave until he was released. When he had his open-heart surgery people actually took turns sleeping on the floor of the hotel so they could be there for him and us. They continue to involve themselves in all aspects of Sammie's life and I welcome that with open arms. What more could I ask for than to have the most supportive and loving family?

No comments: